FindYourInspiration.careers is a local guide for helping children through the Academic and Career Planning process. It's never too early for children to begin exploring their interests and career options. With your guidance and support, you can assist your child on their future career journey.
Help your child know themselves.
- What are you good at?
- What makes you feel energized?
- Compliment your child as you see them use their strengths well.
- Ask questions about subjects they value and think they’re good at.
Help your child explore options.
- What do you want your life to look like outside of work?
- Is there a career in your favorite subject or interest area?
- What do you know about how to get this career?
- Is that career available around here?
Help your child plan their future.
- What classes would be helpful in middle school, high school, after graduation for that career?
- How do you prepare for that career?
- How do you plan to pay for the career training?
- What does the career pay?
- Do you know how to apply for a job?
Help your child go using their life skills.
- Do you provide positive, specific feedback to your child?
- Ask your child to be engaged and present in the moment by putting away electronics.
- Model good life skills for your child.
- Volunteer to help others.
"As a new mom, I want to know what was taking place in our community to better the lives of our children. The Parents, We Need You program is a good platform to start asking questions of our children and for us to start grouping their questions into interests. I can already tell this program will help me to look deeper into my daughter’s interests and see where her passions lie in the future as she grows.
We were also able to use some of the resources on the website for a family member interested in making a career change. They took the My Next Move assessment to see how their interests relate to certain careers. I personally enjoy taking personality tests and was able to take the 16Personalities assessment as well. These tools are very valuable for children and their parents.
Many times as parents, it can be pretty tiring and trying. So, for us to have resources that can help us aid our children in understanding themselves is very helpful. I’m interested in doing all I can to get ahead of the game and know where to direct my daughter’s questions once she is older."
FindYourInspiration.careers is a resource for the greater Green Bay area, brought to you by Partners in Education, a program of the Greater Green Bay Chamber, in partnership with 17 area schools and districts and over 200 local businesses and organizations.